Monday, July 21, 2008

Auntie Folk- Kimya


The whole idea that a group of quirky musicians are labeled Anti-Folk was at first puzzling to me. Then I did a little more research and found that anti-folk is really just a part of folk music but it is punk-folk, or alt. folk, or songs that are written to be written... not for fame, money, or any other reason than to create something homemade, unique and truly creative. The songs that come out of this genre are generally not fine tuned, are recorded at home, and have a low budget feel... I LOVE THAT! I think I may have found my own true musical genre for both my lil' girl and big girl music...


I had heard The Moldy Peaches song on a compilation from my friend Darian years ago, only to find that Kimya Dawson and Adam Green of the Moldy Peaches have just become instantly famous from that music recorded 10 years ago which was recently placed in the movie JUNO's soundtrack.

I find Kimya Dawson's music is fun, disturbing and fantastic!

My favorite song of Kimya's is "I like Giants" off of her newest CD "Remember I love you".

I was lucky enough to be sent 2 free tickets to go see Kimya and Ani Difranco another Anti-folk music, from my same friend Darian who creates the most amazing music compilations, and always surprises me with random gifts throughout the years since high school. The lamest part of the night was that me and my date got there late... (hey that rhymes) So we missed Kimya!! I could have cried, but the Indian food in Noho was slow and oh so delicious...


GOOD NEWS! I am going to NYC for the Antifolk festival this August, and will be catching Kimya, along with many other antifolkers!


I will share more on my path to visit auntie folk, and her friends soon!

No comments: